August – October
Ski touring around Refugio Frey in Bariloche is a must on a ski trip down to Argentina!
The hut is legendary and the ambiance is great! Not to talk about the many skiing options between Granite towers and mountain lagoons. Come enjoy a couple great Bariloche skiing days with us in Northern Patagonia.
Ski touring Itinerary
1st day: Cerro Catedral – Refugio Frey
We pick you up at your hotel in Bariloche and drive to the Cerro Cathedral ski area. A few lifts bring us to the top of the mountain where our ski touring trip starts. We will reach the Frey hut after a first nice run down to Vantitter valley and a short ascend up to the hut. There will be plenty of couloirs with fresh snow to be discovered this afternoon.
Night and dinner at the cosy Frey hut
2nd day: Refugio Frey Ski touring
All day skiing around Refugio Frey today. We will discover mountain lagoons, ski between Granit towers and make sure you try a good Mate – Tee at the end of the day.
Enjoy a dinner and night at Frey hut
3rd day: Refugio Frey – Bariloche
There is lots to ski still today before heading back down to Bariloche.
1 – 2 pax: 940.- USD
3 pax: 730.- USD
4 and more: 600.- USD
Included in the price:
Organisation, local IVBV-IFMGA mountain guide, Transport from/to your Hotel in Bariloche, Ski pass 1st day, 2 nights at mountain hut with full board
Not included in the price:
Hotel in Bariloche, personal insurance (accident, annulation, travel etc.), drinks
Located on the shores of Toncek lagoon, with turquoise cold waters, at the foot of Frey peak in Mount Catedral. Named after Engineer Emilio Frey, a member of the Border Committee presided by Perito Moreno since 1895. He was the park administrator of the Nahuel Huapi National Park and one of the founders of Club Andino Bariloche.
How to get to Bariloche
- Flights: Air transport is more comfortable and most widely chosen to travel from Buenos Aires to Bariloche (BRC). Flights are offered by LATAM and Aerolíneas Argentinas airlines. Flight time is about 2hrs.
- Bus: There is a large offering of buses in Argentina, and most offer services from and to Bariloche. You can choose from among basic services, seats partially convertible into beds, fully convertible into beds or executive bed service. They all offer comfortable seats, onboard movies, drinks, breakfast, lunch or dinner during the trip. Find your bus here.
- Coming from Chile: There are buses from Puerto Montt or Osorno. This is a good website to find your bus connections.
Packing list for Refugio Frey ski touring
There are no showers in the huts but you will find running water and toilets to clean yourself.
- Ski touring Skis with skins (Ski around 80mm under foot, max 90mm)
- Ski touring boots
- Ski poles
- Avalanche probe, shovel and beacon
- Boot crampons
- Ski crampons
- Helmet (optional)
- Backpack 30-40 Lts
- Sleeping bag (thin, for the hut)
- Pocket knife or Leatherman
- Waterbottle / Thermosbottle
- Crocs or light weight sandals
- 2 pairs of skiing socks
- Warm skiing underwear
- T shirt
- Insulated jacket
- Water proof Goretex jacket
- Water proof Goretex pants
- Water proof Goretex gloves with insulation or similar
- Thin gloves
- Warm hat
- Buff or similar
- Sun hat
- Sunglasses with UV filter + Goggles
- Sun screen and lipstick
- Tooth brush and paste
- Personal toiletries and medicaments
- Bag to keep things waterproof in your backpack
- Camera/phone/batterie pack
- Valid passport/visa (with/photo copy carried separately. Also leave a copy with someone at home)
- Cash in U.S. dollars (not smaller than 50US for a better change)
- Bring cash in pesos (or change in US$) up to the huts for beers/wine
Change of plan
Anyone familiar with the backcountry knows to expect the unexpected and the weather is unpredictable.
Be prepared for a potential Plan B if the conditions/ weather change.
Located in Argentina’s Río Negro province, Bariloche is a city surrounded by thousand-year-old forests, mountains covered in snow and crystal clear lakes. It’s quintessentially Patagonian and located within the Nahuel Huapi National Park. A city that is home to excellence and surrounded by some of the country’s most beautiful natural spots.