You find here our two options for snowshoe hiking in the Swiss Valais Alps. One is based at a beautiful mountain cabin the Cabane de Brunet and the other one at the historical Hospice Grand San Bernard:
- 17th – 19th of December 2021 (Cabane Brunet)
- 31st of December 2021- 2nd of January 2022 (New year) (Cabane Brunet)
- 18th – 20st of March 2022 (Grand San Bernard)
- 1st – 3rd of April 2022 (Cabane Brunet)
- 8th – 10st of April 2022 (Grand San Bernard)
- Private dates from middle of December – middle of April
- A 3-day snowshoe experience deep in the Alps, with wonderful panoramic views of famous peaks.
- Comfortable accommodation in the newly renovated Cabane de Brunet
- Learn independent tour planning and safe behaviour in the snow
Have you ever wondered what it’s like wake up in a cozy mountain hut surrounded by snowy peaks, snow covered alpine pastures and pur silence? Imagine waking up in the early hours, all that’s on your list today is to discover this beautiful landscape on snowshoes… A peek out the window reminds you of where you are. You drink your hot coffee while taking in the immensity of the Valais Alps. Are you ready?
What if the dream comes true? Promising an exceptional, authentic adventure, the Brunet mountain hut nestled on the heights of the Val de Bagnes at the foot of the Petit Combin, awaits. This new renovated wood-and-stone chalet is passionately maintained and the perfect location for our snowshoe tour.
Itinerary snowshoe tour Cabane Brunet (2104m)
Day 1: Martigny – Cabane de Brunet
Wee meet at the train station in Martigny (Switzerland) and drive to the start of our tour in the Val de Bagnes. From here we hike up to the beautiful Brunet hut. After a warm drink we start exploring the nearby winter wonderland and practice searching with the avalanche beacon. Before dinner we plan tomorrows tour. Our host is a great chef and we’ll be treated to a delicious dinner.
- Night at Cabane de Brunet
Day 2: Possible tour up to Mont Rogneux (3083m)
Depending on the weather and conditions we enjoy a snow shoeing day on the foot of Grand Combin. There will be enough time to analyse our itinerary as we go. We pick nick in the mountains and get back to the cozy hut for a warm apple cake.
After a well deserved siesta we plan tomorrows tour and the descent back down to the valley.
- Dinner and night at Cabane de Brunet
Day 3: Mountain lake – Martigny
A half day tour before starting the descent back down to the valley. There are many little, frozen alpine lakes to discover and the terrain is perfect for snowshoeing.
We’ll be back in Martigny around 4pm.
Costs snowshoe tour Val de Bagnes:
- 2 hikers: 918.- CHF
- 4 hikers: 553.- CHF
- 6 hikers: 432.- CHF
Included in the price:
3 days UIMLA hiking guide, 2 nights in a double room at the hut, half board, 2 picnics, transport Martigny – hiking start and back to Martigny, hiking guide expenses
Not included in the price:
Personal insurance, personal equipment, drinks at the hut
Itinerary Snowshoe Tour Grand Saint Bernard Pass
Discover this winter landscape with us on a long weekend with our Snowshoe tour Grand Saint Bernard. The hospice of the Grand Saint Bernard welcomes us for the night.
Around 1050, Saint Bernard of Menton wanted to put an end to banditry with this great building.
During these three days, we will discover these historic places and the magnificent surroundings where the monks continued the tradition. We will also dedicate ourselves intensively to tour planning, avalanche rescue and safety in the snow.
A cultural, sporting weekend a little out of time…
Day 1: Bourg Saint Bernard – Hospice Grand Saint Bernard
Meet at Martigny train station and continue by minibus to Bourg-Saint-Bernard. Here we put on our snowshoes to reach the Great Saint Bernard Pass (2469 m) in complete peace and quiet. A passage known for generations by mountain people between the Swiss Valais and the Italian Aosta Valley.
We settle in the rooms of the famous hospice. Afterwards we will go on our way to a workshop on how to handle avalanche beacons and search for avalanche victims. We will also discuss tour planning.
Dinner together in the hospice.
- Overnight stay in the Hospice:
- + 600m, 3.5h
Day 2: Summit tour around the Grand Saint Bernard Pass
Today’s tour will be determined according to the conditions. A nice option would be the Tete de Fonteinte via Fenêtre d’en Haut
Below the summit of Chenalette, the route climbs up through the Fenêtre d’en Haut valley, which ends in a gentle slope to the border crossing (2724 m). A final ascent allows us to reach the summit of the Tête de Fonteinte (2775 m). We have an incredible panorama of Mont Blanc and the Grandes Jorasses in front of us. The descent is made along the same path or, if conditions are good, via the Fenêtre Ferret.
We return to the Grand Saint-Bernard hospice where we plan the route for tomorrow’s descent and analyse today’s tour.
Dinner together in the hospice.
- Overnight stay in the Grand Saint Bernard Hospice
- + 650m, 5.5h
Day 3: Combe de Drohne – Lac de Lé- Bourg Saint Bernard
Descent to Bourg-Saint-Bernard to reach the magnificent Combe de Drône. We pass the quiet hamlet of La Pierre (2039 m) and ascend towards the lakes of Lé (2554 m). Nice descent along the same route. We get into our car in Bourg-Saint-Bernard. Transfer by minibus back to Martigny.
Another option would be the western Barasson Pass.
- + 500m, – 900m, 5h
Map Snowshoe Tour Grand Saint Bernard:
This programme can be changed at any time by the guide according to the conditions (weather, snow) and/or the technical level of the participants. In the event of heavy snowfall at the hospice, a retreat will be organised with overnight accommodation in the beautiful Brunet hut in Val d’Entremont.
Arrival / return journey:
- 1st day: We meet at 11.30 at the train station in Martigny
- Last day: We will be back at the station in Martigny at about 16.00
Cost per person for Snowshoe tour Grand Saint Bernard Pass:
- 2 guests: 900 CHF
- 4 guests: 540 CHF
- 6 guests: 410 CHF
Included in the price:
3 days UIMLA hiking guide, 2 nights in a double room, half board, 2 picnics, transport Martigny – Bourg Saint Bernard and back to Martigny, hiking guide expenses (it is also possible to stay in a shared room for 15.- less per night, single rooms are available as well).
Not included in the price:
Drinks, arrival and return to/from Martigny, personal equipment
Snowshoes / Safety equipment
On request we can bring snowshoes and safety equipment. Please contact us for rental prices.
Equipment list for both snowshoe tours
- Backpack approx. 30L on which the snowshoes can be put on
- Thermal underwear (quick-drying), with long sleeves.
- A fleece jumper or similar
- Windproof and waterproof mountain trousers or overpants
- Socks with excellent thermal properties.
- A pair of gaiters if your trousers do not have them integrated
- A cap or hood
- A buff / neck tube
- Sun hat
- Very good sunglasses
- One pair of light gloves (type Polar/Windstopper)
- A thin down or primaloft jacket.
- A waterproof and breathable Goretex type jacket with hood
- Your few replacement items (reduce to the necessary minimum)
- Sun cream and lipstick with high protection factor
- A pair of warm and waterproof gloves
- Thermos flask
- Picnic for the first day
- Toilet paper and a lighter to burn
- Your individual pharmacy reduced to a minimum, personal medicines
- pocket knife
- Lightweight hut sleeping bag
- Survival blanket
- Some plastic bags to protect your belongings
- A waterproof bag with your identity papers, money, insurance certificates, assistance
- A pair of warm and waterproof shoes suitable for snowshoeing
NB: waterproof hiking boots and a pair of gaiters are sufficient for this type of stay
- One pair of snowshoes
- One pair of telescopic poles with large rosettes
- Personal safety equipment: an avalanche transceiver, a shovel and a probe
- Please note: For your comfort, your rucksack should not weigh more than 8 to 10 kilos, please make sure you only bring what you need